Sunday 9 May 2010

A New Start.

Bertie is now completely recovered from strangles and I am just starting to do a bit with him and get to know him properly.

He is still stabled at night and turned out during the day with Russell. In the mornings I leave him in until last then groom him and pick his feet out, which he is very good about, then take him for a little walk.

I don't think that he had trotted up in hand before so we have been practising that along with walking over spooky things and touching scary objects, which he gets clicked and treated for. He is quite bold and steady and very easy to hold in a headcollar, and he already understands exactly what the click means. He has gone from being very difficult to catch to pushing Russell aside and putting his nose into the headcollar for me in a very short space of time.

He has the loveliest eyes and expression - he always looks kind and calm, if a little wary and sad at times, which is hardly surprising considering his history.

This afternoon I went to get Bella in to ride her and a friend pointed out that Bertie was standing there watching me with great interest. I think he likes his new home and is enjoying the challenges of being encouraged to think his way through what I'm asking of him.

He is a very sweet and kindly 'person' and I hope I don't fall for him too much as he is a bit too small for me really.

1 comment:

  1. Aww how could you not fall for him? He sounds like such a sweetheart. I love clicker training because it helps us communicate with the horses and shows them they can trust us. :)

    ReplyDelete